The older I get the more I realize and witness over and over in not only myself, but also in my clients and my readers, that we always get what we ask for. “But!” you may object, “I didn’t ask for this lousy relationship,” or “I didn’t ask to be sick.” No one asks for these things. No one ever gets up and says: “Ah, what a gorgeous day, today I would like to get sick and attract the ultimate loser today.”

Answer this: Does anyone ask and focus and meditate about living happy and healthy lives well into our golden years?

I bet the answer for almost everyone is “no.” Because those things are expected, it’s wishful thinking, we go about life one day at a time, perhaps planning on paper, but never really visualizing the blessed life that we truly want to live.

Tomorrow is my Dad’s 63rd birthday. It may well be his last. In fact, it’s surprising that he’s made it this far. Four of his sisters died long before they ever reached his age. All died of lung cancer within a 2-year period. It’s his turn next…

When I was 10 he started a secret affair with his secretary who was only 17 at that time. My mother got wind of it through various excuses that didn’t add up anymore, two years later she confronted him. He moved out and in with his girlfriend. At which time I lost contact with him and my sister who moved in with him. He spent all of his life savings on this now 19-year old girl who left him a year later for a younger man, and just in time before he was low on cash. It broke his heart, he turned to the bottle, lost his job, which forced my sister to drop out of school at the age of 14 to take on a job just so they can meet rent.

My mother too now had to work six days a week, 12 hour days, just to make ends meet. I was asked to pay for my own way, my own clothes, which I bought at Salvation Army, my own food. All she paid for was the roof over my head and my health insurance. I too dropped out of highschool and moved out to be on my own.

I was 12 when he left and hated him for “what he did to us” as a family, in my oblivious teenage heart hate is all I could see. My mother turned to hating men in general, her disappointment about having dedicated her life to this man and us children was met with disappointment, disbelief, loneliness and bitterness that only humans can fabricate within their own hearts and carve into their own faces.

Then again, I remember being puzzled about whether or not I should be angry at my father and men in general for cheating on us or if I should be angry at women for stealing other women’s wives. I decided that it always takes two. At the moldable age of only 12 I decided back then to hate them both. I lost faith and trust in humanity and in the fairy tale that I had envisioned for myself and my future husband.

I promised myself to never get married and to never have children so they would never have to go through what my sister and I had to go through. I could handle life alone, I had lived most of my childhood in abandonment and being left to myself was manageable, although painful. Living with someone in a lie was even more unbearable to me, so I opted to stay single for the rest of my life.

Ten years later I met a man who seemed to defy my view of men and meanwhile my own growing up defied my view of women. I broke my promise (thank Goodness) and said to the Universe: “Okay, if I ever get married and any man would have a chance with me, he would have to be a nice guy who could cook and clean.” My father was not a nice guy, especially not when he drank. He had no idea how to cook an egg sunny side up and didn’t know where the on and off switch was to the vacuum cleaner. He was raised as an only boy with 5 sisters; spoiled rotten and used to being catered to by women. Although I love to serve, serving on that level bordered being a door mat. I was of a different breed and viewed incapable men (and women) as flawed, nothing I wanted to deal with. Judgment on my part? Absolutely.

I ended up marrying that man when I was 25 and I got exactly what I asked for:

- A nice guy
- Who could cook
- And clean

AND, I even got a bonus, he also knew how to sow on a button. I hit the jack pot! So I thought.

What I learned over the years of being married to him was that those four things were all I got. Nothing more, nothing less. While I moved on and changed and grew and expanded and manifested my ambitions into reality, he only had 3 dreams for his life:

1. To get married
2. To have a family

3. To own his own house

He achieved his dream by the time he was 30. And I fulfilled a job description, and empty slot in his life. Amongst the furniture and lamptstands I was perfectly fitting in, just like a trophy. And then what? What comes after having achieved your dreams? Nothing for him; life for me just started.

With much resistance on his part and even more force on my part a tug-and-war started, showered with the love we felt for each other, but with dysfunctional mechanical parts to make the ship sail. He was content at 30 to have achieved everything he ever wanted and put himself on auto-pilot waiting to die a physical death God-only-knows when. I just started to live, but wasn’t able or allowed to sprout or blossom. So while he was waiting “to die” I too started to shrivel up; slowly but surely. One day at a time. Little by little my freedom was stripped from me, by choice, in the name of love. Until one day I found myself on my death bed, willing to succumb to my promise: “Until Death Do Us Part.”

I have learned over and over again, that we always get what we ask for. Whether we ask for little or for much, we always get it, and it never fails!

When it comes to relationships it’s not about making a list of what he looks like, how tall he is and how much money he makes; those are irrelevant and unimportant. If these things are important to you, I wish you good luck because you’re missing the real treasure of true love.

All anyone ever wants is to be loved, desired, respected, supported, acknowledged and needed, with sincerity and authenticity. To fill those needs and desires by a match made in heaven doesn’t come along every day, in fact it doesn’t come along in most of our life times. And all because we’re not even aware of what it is we need and want out of life. We settle for mediocre because all we want is “a nice guy.” We don't dare ask for more out of fear that we ask too much.

This is your life and unlike what most people say: “you only live once,” this life is only one tiny fragment of your eternity and we each live through eternity over and over again, always continuing where we left off. It’s called Karma.

I don’t wish you a good life, I wish you a great and phenomenal life that is filled with blessings and love and peace and power that you bestow upon yourself! Go ask for the sky, the moon and the stars; you may not physically reach them, but you’ll notice before long that you can actually fly…
1 Response
  1. stradasphere Says:

    Wow again...looking back at the marriage that is coming to an end I realize I really didn't ask for much at all and that's why my relationship was so lacking. What a great insight...I am going to ask for more and more and more...I deserve it. Thank you again Chaszey!!


Post a Comment