I have been super privileged to get a contract with an amazing organization that provides a one-stop shop where high-potential, lower-income women receive training to start and grow their business. Their mission is to build the entrepreneurial capacity of women to overcome economic and social barriers and achieve self-sufficiency. Having spoken in front of thousands of people in the real estate industry, most of my previous clients were men. It was a financial world, analytical, left-brained, logical and number oriented. Yes, there were women in my audience, but time and time again my audience consisted of 80-95% men. I remember feeling comfortable in that environment because I didn’t feel judged; it was about the subject topic not about me. It was easy and simple: provide the data, make sense and be logical and get out.

Speaking in front of women is a whole new ball game and it has been calling me to new heights. I feel not as easy and “at home” with women than I do with men. And that's why I'm probably doing what I'm doing - so I can learn and grow and give back more value. And yes, this is certainly traced back to my own childhood. I got along much easier with my Dad than I did with my Mom. There always seemed to be judgment and jealousy from my Mom, even to this day. Whether in reality or just in the figment of my imagination – it doesn’t matter. I simply am more comfortable around men. They are who they are, they generally speaking don’t put up a façade and they don’t really change personalities in order to impress anyone. Left is left and right is right, and there's isn't much in between. What you see is what you get type of thing. I find women a lot more complicated and complex, and perhaps because I am more masculine oriented in my thinking, I struggle with the drama of most women. And yes, this is a gross generalization and there are certainly exceptions.

Now back to these women. My class of women is completing their 22 class program today - they are graduating! And in many ways I feel like the proud mama-hen today, helping them fly out of their nests and go out there into the real world and live their dream. They each had a flame burning inside of them, a dream to one day start and own their own businesses. It was my job to bring forth that flame and help them put it into words in form of a business plan. Now the entire world can read about their "flame," which for many is a scary thing. Having been with these women over these past few weeks has humbled me big time. They have obstacles that make me want to cry, and yet they still come, they persevere and their persevere some more and their belief in their dream has pushed them and spurred them on to not give up. In spite of their obstacles.

So what does this have to do with you, my readers?

We get stuck on the rat’s wheel in our every-day lives. Taking care of our employer, rather than becoming an employer, we dedicate our jobs to our family, at least that's the excuse, our children (when all they want is our time), our pets (because they're so helpless), our lawns and our houses (because we carry the mortgage). We go to the grocery store and do our 3,000 thousand mile oil change like clock work. We are human-doings. We become zombies and fall asleep and go through life having lost and even having forgotten our dream to one day make a real difference in our lives and those of others. We may have thought that we would make a difference by winning the Olympics or by building a multi-billion dollar company, and those dreams are long gone. But what about making a difference in just one or two people’s lives today?

Here is a challenge for you today. Go buy a cup of coffee and a pastry and then drive around until you see a homeless person begging for money. Bless the coffee and the pastry and hand it to him or her and wish them the greatest day ever. Look into their eyes when you hand it to them and let them see your teeth like only your dentist knows your teeth (smile!). It might be the only smile they'll get for a long time... And here comes the kicker: don’t tell anyone that you did this. Hold it in and let your feeling of gratitude be with you and you only…then watch what happens - you'll be amazed.

Much grace and courage for everyone today!
1 Response
  1. stradasphere Says:

    I am so happy for you!! What an awesome gig! I am venturing you were quite excited when you wrote this because there is an electricity going on when I read it.

    The zombie trap is something I have been battling for a while and have just recently started fighting hard against it. Being a human-doing has no attraction to me. Especially as a musician, or artist, becoming a zombie is worse than a horrible death preceded by torture!

    Blessings on your journey my friend, and thank you for sharing your journey!

    Lionel


Post a Comment