Is there such a thing as right and wrong thinking?

According to Christian Larson there is:

"Life is growth and the object of right thinking is to promote that growth. Give less time trying to change the opinions of others, and more time trying to improve your own life. Life becomes the way it is lived; and man may live the way he wants to live when he learns to think what he wants to think. Create your own thought and you become what you want to become because your thought creates you. We all know that man is as he thinks. Then we must think only such thoughts as tend to make us what we wish to be. The secret of right thinking is found in always keeping the mind’s eye stayed upon the greater and the better in all things."

I realize that we are "creatures of habit." We love to keep things the same. Most people do not like change. I have taken inventory of my life and continue to do so, and I recognize that the times I grow the most are the times during change. Whether this is to change the route I use to go grocery shopping, a change in dentist or a change in living situations. Whether it's a change in technology or the way my handwriting looks - change is good, change is great - change brings growth.

I met with my ex-husband yesterday and we talked for several hours over a good cup of coffee. Now that we're both in our 40s it was easy to look back and use "hindsight" as our best friend to get an overview of how each of us has changed and grown. It was interesting to see that although time didn't seem to exist, we have grown worlds apart during these last 20 years. We met when we were very young, got married and had a daughter. He's approach the half-century mark very soon, and I'm in my 40s. We talked about growing up and the things we used to love to do as teenagers and how we've changed. And it was interesting to see that he still doesn't like change, he wants things "the same" because it offers him comfort. I want change more than anything because I know that with change comes growth.

And then I got it: change to him means insecurity and loss. Change to me means growth and gain.

It's okay to be different - it's what makes this world an exiting place to live in.
1 Response
  1. stradasphere Says:

    It's OK to be different...Amen to that!! Have a wonderful, joyfilled weekend!
    Lionel


Post a Comment